Going to the airport is typically a difficult job. Between long security lines and the crowds in the terminal, offering yourself sufficient time to make it to your gate is important.
In a 2022 research study, the travel specialists at Upgraded Points evaluated 15 elements at 50 significant U.S. airports to discover the ones where it’s essential for travelers to get here early for domestic flights.
- variety of enplanements
- variety of travelers
- airport size
- typical TSA wait time
- variety of terminals
- variety of gates
- variety of airport staff members
- variety of airport lounges
- variety of restaurants/bars
- variety of stores
- variety of parking lots/decks
- portion of on-time departures
- portion of postponed departures
- vehicle traffic volume
- vehicle traffic index
The research study discovered that the airports where travelers require the most time prior to boarding are Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD), Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), and John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK).
The airport where travelers do not require to get here as early and ranked at the bottom of the list was John Glenn Columbus International Airport (CMH) in Columbus, Ohio.
The 15 U.S. airports where you require to get here the earliest
- Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD): 3 hrs 4 minutes
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX): 2 hrs 59 minutes
- John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK): 2 hrs 58 minutes
- George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH): 2 hrs 55 minutes
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW): 2 hrs 50 minutes
- Miami International Airport (MIA): 2 hrs 48 minutes
- San Francisco International Airport (SFO): 2 hrs 45 minutes
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT): 2 hrs 45 minutes
- Philadelphia International Airport (PHL): 2 hrs 44 minutes
- Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR): 2 hrs 41 minutes
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA): 2 hrs 39 minutes
- Orlando International Airport (MCO): 2 hrs 36 minutes
- Boston Logan International Airport (BOS): 2 hrs 33 minutes
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL): 2 hrs 31 minutes
- Denver International Airport (DEN): 2 hrs 30 minutes
Upgraded Points’ research study discovered that flying out of the Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD) needs travelers to get here 3 hours and 4 minutes early to board efficiently.
In 2021, the airport tape-recorded a tremendous 54,020,399 travelers. ORD likewise has 193 gates, more than any other airport consisted of in the research study. Upgraded Points likewise discovered that the airport is understaffed, with 3,606 badged airport staff members per square mile, which is 9% listed below the nationwide average.
The following 2 airports almost connected for 2nd and 3rd location: LAX and JFK. Based on the ranking, travelers ought to come to LAX 2 hours and 59 minutes prior to their set up departure. With over 8 terminals, 146 gates, and a frustrating variety of vehicle traffic outside the airport, it’s no surprise individuals require additional time to get to their designated boarding locations.
JFK was a close 3rd, with travelers anticipated to get here 2 hours and 58 minutes prior to their set up departure. The typical TSA wait time at the New York City airport is 16.40 minutes, and in 2021, the airport reported it had more than 30 million travelers.
Sign up now: Get smarter about your cash and profession with our weekly newsletter
Don’t miss out on:
Lisbon and Mexico City are on tourists’ desire lists for 2023: These are the top 10 trending holiday locations
Delta is presenting complimentary Wi-Fi for all tourists: Here’s how to register