Nineteen international nationals have been charged with unlawful voting within the 2016 election, the Justice Division stated Friday.
The defendants are from quite a few nations, together with Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Nigeria and Germany.
A few of them have been charged in an indictment handed down by a federal grand jury in Wilmington, N.C. They have been accused of submitting a false declare of citizenship with a view to register, after which voting.
Others have been charged individually for illegally voting.
The announcement comes amid an intense debate on the state stage over voter fraud and efforts by Republican lawmakers to impose voter ID restrictions.
President Trump has lengthy claimed widespread voting fraud came about within the 2016 election, an assertion that has not been substantiated. However Democrats argue voting fraud just isn’t a widespread drawback.
“It isn’t a conspiracy concept, of us,” Trump stated in April, claiming tens of millions voted illegally in 2016.
Trump ordered the creation of a voting fraud fee after taking workplace, however disbanded it earlier this yr after saying sure states refused to supply info.
These charged within the newest plots, in response to the DOJ, embrace:
- Jose Cruz Solano-Rodriguez, age 41, of Mexico
- Guadalupe Espinosa-Pena, age 63, of Mexico
- Sarah Emilia Silverio-Polanco, age 35, of the Dominican Republic
- Elizabeth Nene Amachaghi, age 44, of Nigeria
- Maria Rufina Castillo-Boswell, age 31, of Philippines
- Dora Perhaps Damatta-Rodriguez, age 64, of Panama
- Elvis David Fullerton, age 54, of Grenada
- Olive Agatha Martin, age 71, of Guyana
- Kaoru Sauls, age 54, of Japan
- Jose Jaime Ramiro-Torres, age 52, of El Salvador
- Juan Francisco Landeros-Mireles, age 64, of Mexico
- Alessandro Cannizzaro, age 46, of Italy
- Dieudonne Soifils, age 71, of Haiti
- Hyo Suk George, age 69, of Korea
- Merius Jean, age 54, of Haiti
- Rosemarie Angelika Harris, age 60, of Germany
- Daniel Tadeusz Romanowski, age 39, of Poland
- Diana Patricia Franco-Rodriguez, age 26, of Mexico
- Ramon Esteban Paez-Jerez, age 58, of Dominican Republic
The Justice Division stated the grand jury additionally returned an indictment towards a 20th individual, 66-year-old Denslo Allen Paige, for allegedly aiding and abetting one other defendant, Espinosa-Pena, in falsely claiming United States citizenship with a view to register to vote.
The circumstances are being investigated by a taskforce in North Carolina led by Immigration and Customs Enforcement – Homeland Safety Investigations, and assisted by Enforcement Elimination Operations, and the Division of State – Diplomatic Safety Service.