CHICAGO — Gun deaths worldwide whole about 250,000 yearly and the US is amongst simply six international locations that make up half of these fatalities, a research discovered.
The outcomes from one of the complete analyses of firearm deaths reveal “a serious public well being downside for humanity,” in response to an editorial revealed with the research Tuesday within the Journal of the American Medical Affiliation.
READ MORE: Chilling video explains how eight U.S. youngsters are shot day by day in ‘household fireplace’
Though current headlines make it look like gun killings are surging globally, the brand new figures inform a extra nuanced story.
Researchers counted about 209,000 gun deaths in 1990 in comparison with 251,000 in 2016. The typical price, about four per 100,000 individuals, was largely unchanged.
Two-thirds of the deaths in 2016 had been homicides, though the U.S. is amongst rich international locations the place suicides by gun outnumber gun killings, the research discovered.
WATCH: Gun violence in America by the numbers
The numbers replicate greater than “what number of weapons are round in a rustic,” mentioned lead writer Dr. Christopher Murray, a professor of well being metrics on the College of Washington. Cultural beliefs about weapons and suicide range extensively around the globe, he famous, including, “That’s the place we get this unimaginable vary of firearm deaths.”
READ MORE: U.S. unleashing 3D-printed ‘ghost weapons’ for the whole web
There have been bigger will increase in lots of the 195 international locations concerned within the research, notably in Central American and South America, the place the charges reached almost 40 per 100,000 in some locations. Researchers mentioned the drug commerce and financial instability might have contributed.
Brazil, Colombia, Guatemala, Mexico and Venezuela are the international locations that with the U.S. contributed to half the research deaths. The research raises considerations in regards to the lack of analysis on causes of gun violence and methods to stop it, the editorial mentioned.
WATCH: Majority of Torontonians agree their metropolis has a severe gun downside, ballot says
Among the many findings:
- In 2016, 64 p.c of worldwide gun deaths had been homicides, 27 p.c had been suicides and 9 p.c had been unintentional.
- Gun deaths within the U.S. climbed from 35,800 in 1990 to 37,200 in 2016, however the price dipped barely to 11 per 100,000. Gun suicides elevated from 19,700 to 23,800.
- The U.S. had the second-highest gun suicide price in 2016, simply over 6 deaths per 100,000 — a slight dip from the 1990 price. Greenland had the very best, 22 per 100,000 however that amounted to simply 11 suicides.
- El Salvador had the very best world gun demise price, almost 40 per 100,000 individuals. Singapore had the bottom, with zero.1 demise per 100,000.
- Gun deaths outnumbered deaths from fight and terrorism yearly besides 1994, when 800,000 individuals died in Rwandan genocide.