As of 10 p.m., firefighters continued to look the constructing for different victims, de Blasio mentioned, that means the dying toll might nonetheless rise.
“That is the worst fireplace tragedy we now have seen on this metropolis in at the least 1 / 4 century based mostly on the knowledge we now have now,” the mayor mentioned. “It will rank as one of many worst losses of life to a fireplace in lots of, a few years.”
The hearth started round 7 p.m. in a constructing on Prospect Avenue close to the Bronx Zoo, the New York Hearth Division mentioned. Firefighters arrived inside three minutes of the report of fireside, they usually helped 12 folks out of the burning constructing, officers mentioned. Not less than 15 folks had been handled for accidents.
“I need to thank all of our first responders for his or her quick response,” de Blasio mentioned. “I need to thank them for saving the lives they did.”
The hearth was extinguished round eight:30 p.m., PIX 11 reported. Victims ranged in age from a 1-year-old youngster to adults.
Witnesses described the frantic scramble to flee the constructing into the frigid night time, with residents clamoring down fireplace escapes.
One distraught girl who declined to present her title informed the New York Occasions that she escaped along with her daughter and pulled two neighbor kids from the fireplace.
“I had one on my entrance and one on my again,” she informed the paper. “I couldn’t carry the remainder of them.”
It was too early on Thursday night time to say what prompted the fireplace, which affected a number of flooring of the five-story constructing after beginning on the primary ground, FDNY commissioner Daniel Nigro mentioned.
“As of now, this tragedy is with out query historic in its magnitude,” he mentioned.
The hearth erupted as New York experiences frigid winter circumstances, with temperatures dipping into the kids.
The Bronx was the scene of one other lethal condo fireplace in 2007, when 9 kids and one grownup died in a blaze that officers mentioned was attributable to an area heater.
In line with data saved by the New York Metropolis Division of Housing Preservation and Improvement, a discover of violation was despatched to the constructing’s proprietor in August relating to faulty smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in a first-floor condo.
This can be a growing story. Test again for updates and observe BuzzFeed Information on Twitter.