David Moyes’ side sent packing to the Championship after Josh King strikes late winner for Bournemouth
SUNDERLAND crashed out of the Premier League with a whimper as they slipped to a late defeat to Bournemouth.
David Moyes’ side needed to record a better result than Hull to keep themselves in the top flight – but they failed miserably as their fate was confirmed.
Jermain Defoe and Fabio Borini both wasted good chances to fire Sunderland into the lead when they desperately needed three points to keep their survival hopes alive.
But they were punished three minutes before the end when Josh King touched home from close range to send the Black Cats tumbling towards the Championship.
FACTS, STATS, GOALS AND LOLS
- Sunderland were without TEN first-team players. Jack Rodwell and Jason Denayer both failed fitness tests on the pitch before kick-off.
- It meant Donald Love was making his first league appearance since January, when Stoke’s Marko Arnautovic ripped him apart.
- But on-loan Manchester United winger Adnan Januzaj still cannot get a game. There is no chance of him having a future at Old Trafford.
- Eddie Howe was taking charge of his 200th league game in his second spell as Bournemouth boss.
- Sunderland fans are voting with their feet. The attendance was 38,394 – their lowest in the league this season. But even that official figure looked generous.
- David Moyes started the match stood in his technical area and did not return to his dugout for the entire match. In the last home match, he was booed by supporters whenever he stood up.
- Jermain Defoe has now not scored in ten matches for the Black Cats – a goal drought stretching back to February.
- Bournemouth’s late triumph meant they ended a run of seven league away matches without a win.
- Sunderland have won one of their last 17 league matches – away at Crystal Palace in February.
SUNDERLAND : Pickford, Love, Manquillo, O’Shea, Kone, Pienaar, Ndong, Khazri, Borini, Anichebe, Defoe
Subs: Mannone, Lescott, honeyman, Embleton, Gooch, Januzaj, Djilobodi
BOURNEMOUTH: Boruc, A Smith, Francis, S Cook, Daniels, Fraser, L Cook, Arter, Pugh, King, Afobe
Subs: Allsop, Mings, B Smith, Stanislas, Ibe, Gradel, Mousset
THE BIG PICTURE
May 6: Hull (a) Premier League
May 13: Swansea (h) Premier League
May 16: Arsenal (a) Premier League
May 21: Chelsea (a) Premier League
May 6: Stoke (h) Premier League
May 13: Burnley (h) Premier League
May 21: Leicester (a) Premier League