The Spanish defender underwent surgery a day after the shocking terror attack prior to the Dortmund vs Monaco game
BORUSSIA DORTMUND defender Marc Bartra will be out for four weeks after breaking his wrist in the terror bomb attack on his team coach.
The Spanish defender was travelling with team-mates for their Champions League game at home to Monaco on Tuesday night when a series of bombs went off near to the vehicle.
The Spanish defender went under the knife after breaking his wrist. The game was played out on Wednesday night, with Dortmund losing 3-2 to Monaco in the re-arranged clash.
Keep up to date with all the latest news, gossip, rumours and done deals in SunSport’s live transfer blog
READ MORE ON THIS STORY
Bartra, 26, gave a thumbs up in a picture posted on his Instagram page in which he was wearing a large cast on his right arm.
He wrote: “Hello everybody! As you can see I am doing much better.
“Thank you everybody for all your support and your messages!
“All my strength to my team mates, supporters and fans and to BVB for tonight’s match!”
Bartra was the only player injured in the bomb blast – though the rest of the team were left shaken.
What we know about the Borussia Dortmund explosions so far:
- THREE explosions planted in a roadside hedge detonated as the Borussia Dortmund team bus left the L’Arrivee Hotel.
- PLAYER Marc Bartra, a Spaniard who is Borussia Dortmund’s centre-back, was badly injured in the blast and is undergoing surgery on his injured arm to repair a fracture and remove shrapnel.
- A FOURTH “suspect” device was found near the team hotel after the bombing, but it turned out to be harmless.
- COPS discovered a letter claiming responsibility for the attack where the bus was targeted, but not other details have been released.
- THE match was rescheduled to go ahead tomorrow night at 5.45pm UK time with heightened security.
Police described the explosives as “serious”, and suggested they had been placed in a bush nearby a car park.
Dortmund president Reinhard Rauball confirmed the operation was a success.
He said: “We have heard that everything went well.”
The Champions League quarter-final clash between Dortmund and Monaco was consequently postponed until Tuesday at 5.45pm.
Fans of the Ligue 1 leaders were offered beds to sleep in by hospitable Germans on Tuesday night.
A 28-year-old suspect was arrested near Dusseldorf over the Dortmund attack yesterday — but a second known Islamist also being sought had fled.
Police said players from the German club cheated death, revealing three bombs fired at them from the roadside were packed with metal pins. One was found embedded in a bus seat headrest.