Gutierrez suffered cuts to his face, bruising to his head and nose and broke two teeth in the freak accident
CARL FRAMPTON’S fight against Andres Gutierrez has been cancelled 24 hours before their bout after the Mexican boxer fell in the shower and injured himself.
Gutierrez suffered a deep cut to his face, as well as severe bruising to his nose and head, as well as chipping two of his teeth.
The fight was scheduled to take place at the SSE Arena in Belfast, but now the whole event has been shelved.
Gutierrez shared photos of his injuries on his personal Facebook page, apologising for having to pull out of the fight.
Speaking to BBC Radio Northern Ireland, Frampton said: “I am disappointed and gutted. It is a freak accident. You can’t write things like this.
“I’ve just seen him and for his safety, there is no way he could box.
“I am obviously disappointed though. I would like to apologise for being unprofessional and missing the weight.”
A statement on promoter Barry McGuigan’s Facebook page said Gutierrez had “suffered an accident”.
Ground and pound
Conor McGregor shows old habits die hard as he floors sparring partner… and then pummels him on the canvas in UFC-style flurry
Tickets for Conor McGregor’s super-fight with Floyd Mayweather are struggling to sell with ‘thousands’ available
‘I’m knocking him the f*** out’
Floyd Mayweather turns up the heat on Conor McGregor in promo advert warning ahead of Las Vegas mega-fight
wlad to help
Rising star Daniel Dubois is ready to help Wladimir Klitschko defeat Anthony Joshua in potential rematch
Katie Taylor demolishes Jasmine Clarkson in New York on US debut to notch her sixth pro victory
“Cyclone Promotions and The SSE Arena regret to announce that the ‘Return of The Jackal’ event scheduled for tomorrow, Saturday 29 July, has been cancelled due to an accident to Andres Gutierrez,” the statement read.
“It is hoped that the event will be re-scheduled but ticket holders are advised to retain their tickets and contact point of purchase for further information.”
McGuigan was contacted for further comment but in the short term it means Frampton’s Belfast homecoming will not take place.
The 30-year-old, once a world champion at featherweight and super-bantamweight, had been priming himself to fight in his home city for what might have been the final time.
Earlier in the day, Frampton realised it would no longer serve as an eliminator for the WBC featherweight title for him, after he came in one pound overweight at 9st 1lb.
It was also due to come after the six-month lay-off which followed his first professional defeat to another Mexican, Leo Santa Cruz, in Las Vegas.
Frampton has made no secret of his desire to face Santa Cruz for a third time, or to challenge Wales’ IBF champion Lee Selby, so it is even more significant that his trainer Shane McGuigan has said the “finish line” is in sight despite only 24 professional fights.
McGuigan, speaking to the Irish media ahead of the now-cancelled Gutierrez bout, said: “We feel Saturday night is the next chapter in Carl’s career and one I’m excited about, because we can see the finish line now.
“It’s like running a marathon and you can see that 20-mile mark and you’ve got around six miles to go. The legs are a bit heavy but we’re going to finish strong with four or five big wins.”
For all the latest BOXING news results and live fight commentary, visit our topic page