CHARLIE AUSTIN could have saved the job of the person who wouldn’t choose him.
Mauricio Pellegrino’s refusal to provide Austin a Premier League begin regardless of Southampton’s purpose drought was among the many mysteries of the Saints’ sorry season.
However Austin made essentially the most of his alternative, scoring with two headers within the house of six second-half minutes to provide his aspect victory over an Everton aspect who had been hopeless in addition to manager-less.
The England striker’s final purpose from open play had come nearly a 12 months to day earlier, in a 1-Zero win on this identical fixture. And there are dangerous omens wherever you search for Everton.
Whoever is “shut” to being appointed because the Toffees’ new boss – within the phrases of hapless proprietor Farhad Moshiri – ought to watch this match in full and have an extended exhausting assume.
Gylfi Sigurdsson’s first Premier League purpose was magnificent however finally meaningless and his staff had been dreadful from the beginning.
Southampton made all of the early operating and Austin may have scored twice with barely 10 minutes on the clock.
Dusan Tadic’s opening purpose was a flashback to the Southampton of outdated. A stunning transfer ended with Ryan Bertrand operating on to Pierre-Emile Hojberg’s cross and hitting a first-time cross which the Serbian collected and managed to stab previous Pickford regardless of the attentions of Leighton Baines.
BONG HIT Romelu Lukaku may face ban after TV captures him showing to kick rival
Everton then misplaced Baines to harm and the Saints had some half probabilities to increase their lead, plus an excellent shout for a penalty when Michael Keane dealt with a Steven Davis cross.
However they had been punished within the last minute of the half for not making their superiority depend.
Sigurdsson turned inside previous Virgil Van Dijk and Davis, then hit a stunning shot which struck the underside of the bar, a put up and the bar once more earlier than nestling within the web.
The body of the identical purpose was concerned in Austin restoring Southampton’s lead inside seven minutes of the restart. Bertrand was once more the supplier, whipping in a cross which Austin headed in off the crossbar.
Quickly afterwards he struck once more from one other left-wing cross, this time from Tadic. Michael Keane additionally went off, including one other harm to the insult of the Everton efficiency.
And issues bought worse three minutes from time when Steven Davis lashed dwelling the fourth because the Everton defence went lacking once more.
FACTS, STATS, GOALS AND LOLS
- Saints haD misplaced certainly one of their final eight dwelling Premier League conferences with Everton earlier than at this time (W4 D3), shedding Zero-Three in August 2015.
- Everton had failed to attain in eight of their final 12 Premier League visits to face Southampton, together with 4 of the final 5.
- Dusan Tadic has been instantly concerned in 41 Pemier League targets (16 targets and 25 assists); essentially the most of any Saints participant since his debut in August 2014.
- Southampton haven’t scored in 10 of their Premier League dwelling video games up to now in 2017 – solely rivals Portsmouth (11 in 2007) have failed to attain in additional Premier League dwelling matches in a single calendar 12 months.
- Everton have made the earliest substitutions on common this season (65th minute) and with Leighton Baines limping off right here they’ve made extra subs earlier than the beginning of the second half than another Premier League aspect (10).
- No staff has scored extra penalties than both of those sides within the Premier League up to now this season (three, degree with Man Metropolis)
- Everton have now conceded the primary purpose in 13 of their final 15 matches in all competitions
- The Toffees at the moment are winless in 15 away Premier League video games – their second longest such run within the competitors, following a run of 19 between December 1996 and December 1997.