Blues have been chasing the Spanish striker all summer
ALVARO MORATA is close to a Chelsea move, according to reports in Italy.
Sky Sport reporter Gianluca Di Marzio claims the move is close to completion.
The Blues have been linked with a move for the Real Madrid striker all summer, but were believed to have been priced out of the deal.
Los Blancos had been demanding £80MILLION for the 24-year-old and Chelsea had wanted to pay no more than £70m.
But with Real Madrid president Florentino Perez turning his attentions back to Kylian Mbappe, the prodigious Monaco teenager, he will likely need to raise funds.
The report claims that Real will make a ‘super offer’ for the French star – with previous reports stating he could cost more than £120m to prise from the Ligue 1 champions.
That news handed a green light to the Premier League champions, with Real Madrid offering Morata AND right-back Danilo for a combined £88m.
With the Brazilian costing around £26m, that leaves Morata expected to cost Chelsea around £62m.
Alvaro Morata: Who is the wantaway Real Madrid star?
- Alvaro Morata, aged 24, was born in Madrid, Spain, in October 1992.
- He spent two years at Atletico Madrid’s academy before moving on to Getafe and then Real in 2008, still a junior player.
- Morata made his debut for Real in August 2010, scoring against Castilla.
- He joined Juventus in July 2014 for £17.5million but Real retained an option to buy him back.
- After scoring 27 goals in 93 games in Italy, Real bought Morata back for £26million in 2016.
- Last season he managed 20 goals for Real, his best return.
- He made his international debut for Spain in 2014 and has nine goals from 20 games.
- Morata is a complete modern striker, who is strong on the ball, has energy and pace, and at 6ft 2in is also lethal in the air.
A Chelsea deal for Morata had been believed to be dead in the water as the Spanish and European champions drove up the price for the striker when Manchester United were still interested.
The 20-goal star, who is desperate for regular first-team football next season, was also linked with a £61m move to AC Milan earlier this week.
The 24-year-old has remained Antonio Conte’s top target despite reports linking the club with Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang – who is now staying at Borussia Dortmund – Sergio Aguero and Andrea Belotti.
Conte has been desperate for a striker after his public row with Diego Costa, who mocked the manager while posing in an Atletico Madrid shirt.
Morata is believed to prefer a move to the Premier League over Serie A.
He had hoped to complete a deal before joining Real for pre-season, but the striker has returned to training.
Conte, who signed a new two-year deal to stay at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday, has been frustrated by Chelsea’s business this summer.
Antonio Rudiger was brought in from Roma, only to see long-term target Leonardo Bonucci move to AC Milan for a cut-price £35m two weeks later.
Midfield target Tiemoue Bakayoko arrived last week, but Conte still wants more recruits with the squad facing European football this season.
Two wing-backs are needed, Danilo being one and Juventus star Alex Sandro the other target.
Keep up-to-date with all the latest transfer news and gossip in our live blog