Copying a sheet of knowledge from one workbook to a different feels like a sophisticated job. In reality, Excel has a built-in function that makes fast work of this process, however as regular, there’s multiple option to get the job carried out in Excel. First, I will present you Excel’s built-in route. Then, I will present you a second methodology, that is simply as simple.
To repeat a sheet from one workbook to a different, utilizing Excel’s person interface, do the next:
- Open the supply and the goal workbook. (The supply workbook comprises the sheet you need to copy or transfer. You may transfer or copy the supply sheet to the goal workbook.)
- Within the supply workbook, navigate to the sheet you need to copy or transfer.
- Click on the Residence tab after which click on the Format dropdown within the Cells group. Then, choose Transfer Or Copy Sheet within the Manage Sheets part. In Phrase 2003, select Transfer Or Copy Sheet from the Edit menu. To bypass the ribbon or menu, right-click the sheet tab within the supply workbook and select Transfer Or Copy from the ensuing shortcut menu.
- Within the Transfer Or Copy dialog, select the goal sheet from the To Ebook dropdown. Excel will show solely the open workbooks on this record.
- If needed, replace the Earlier than Sheet choice.
- If you wish to copy moderately than transfer the sheet, click on the Create A Copy choice on the backside of the dialog.
- Click on OK and Excel will transfer or copy the sheet to the goal workbook.
Now, let’s attempt a special approach to do the identical factor. I will not name it a shortcut, nevertheless it’s all the time nice to have one other route, simply in case. With each the supply and goal workbooks open, do the next:
- Click on the View tab and select View Aspect By Aspect within the Window group. Excel will cut up the display screen, horizontally, between the 2 workbooks. In Excel 2003, you will discover this selection on the Window menu.
- Click on the sheet tab within the supply workbook and drag it to the goal workbook. If you wish to copy the sheet as an alternative of transfer it, maintain down the [Ctrl] key when you drag the sheet to the goal workbook.
That is all there’s to it! The subsequent time it’s essential to copy information from one workbook to a different, overlook the copy and paste function—simply drag the sheet.
Transferring a sheet is not with out its issues—issues that may present up later. If the sheet comprises a process that references one other sheet within the supply workbook, Excel will do its greatest to seek out the supply workbook. If it might probably’t, you will get errors while you run that process.
SEE: Software program utilization coverage (Tech Professional Analysis)
A bonus Microsoft Excel tip
From the article 10 issues it’s best to by no means do in Excel by Susan Harkins:
Depend on default settings: Excel defaults may be satisfactory for some and even most customers, but when you end up resetting issues each time you begin a brand new workbook file, cease. As an alternative, open a clean workbook, change these settings, and save the file as a template. Then, base new workbook recordsdata on the template as an alternative of Excel’s built-in template. Or alter the default workbook.
This bonus Excel tip can also be obtainable within the free PDF 30 issues it’s best to by no means do in Microsoft Workplace.
Editor’s notice on Feb. 14, 2019: This Excel article was first printed in March 2012. Since then, we’ve included a video tutorial, added a bonus tip, and up to date the associated assets.