Ann McGregor will always remember the day she discovered her son, “Glee” star Cory Monteith, died of a heroin overdose in 2013 at age 31.
“I obtained the decision from Lea [Michele, Monteith’s girlfriend of over a year] and he or she was screaming on the cellphone,” the 67-year-old advised Individuals Journal Wednesday. “She was yelling, ‘Is it true, is it true about Cory?’ and I mentioned, ‘What about Cory?’ I had heard nothing. After which the police knocked on my entrance door.”
“I went right into a state of numbness,” she mentioned. “I simply shut off all feelings, and I used to be numb.”
The ache of shedding her son solely intensified as days and weeks handed.
“I knew it was actual, however there have been instances once I may misinform myself and say, ‘He’s in L.A., he’ll name me quickly,’” mentioned McGregor. “I’m nonetheless at all times hanging on edge. If you lose somebody who’s such an enormous a part of you, you lose all objective for dwelling.”
The TV star, who had a historical past of drug use and had been in rehab thrice, was discovered useless in a Vancouver lodge room with traces of morphine, codeine and heroin current in his physique.
Earlier than his sudden demise, the actor was enthusiastic about the long run and what it held for him.
“Cory needed a spouse and children,” insisted McGregor. “He would have made a stupendous father. He had achieved a lot. He was able to step out of Hollywood and actually dwell. He had a lot to stay up for… Cory didn’t need to die. There isn’t any doubt about that. However he’s carried in folks’s hearts without end.”
McGregor additionally revealed the Hollywood heartthrob was on ache medicines for “huge” dental work weeks earlier than he handed away.
McGregor advised Those who the remedy ─ taken between Might and July 2013 ─ might have derailed the actor’s sobriety. Monteith’s stints in rehab weakened his tolerance for medication, which meant a small quantity in his system may trigger him to overdose.
“He had little enamel and so they had been all capped. He had loads of remedy in his system, which was not good for his physique popping out of rehab,” defined McGregor. “He didn’t have sufficient medication in his system to kill him, however for some cause it did due to his intolerance [built up by periods of intermittent sobriety].”
LEA MICHELE HONORS CORY MONTEITH WITH EMOTIONAL TRIBUTE 5 YEARS AFTER HIS DEATH
McGregor admitted her son had advised her he was utilizing medication in December 2012, seven months earlier than he died. He accomplished a month in rehab the next April.
“Medication had been his method of testing,” McGregor mentioned.
Monteith, nonetheless, was already coping with substance abuse by his early teenagers. He was smoking marijuana and ingesting by 13. Monteith was additionally hanging out with an older group of individuals at a younger age after skipping two grades due to his superior studying abilities.
By the point he was 19, the “Glee” star had finished two stints in rehab.
“He tried to maintain every part from me, as a result of he cherished me and needed to guard me,” McGregor mentioned. “He was simply at all times so curious. And the darker world simply drew him in.”
Monteith obtained sober and moved to Los Angeles from their residence in Victoria, British Columbia. He landed a number of small roles earlier than geting the a lead function in “Glee,” the place he met then-girlfriend Lea Michele.
However McGregor mentioned her son wasn’t prepared for the Hollywood life-style.
McGregor mentioned she’s nonetheless making an attempt to select up the items 5 years after her son’s demise.
“My world completely stopped. And I’m a distinct individual than I used to be earlier than,” she mentioned. “Cory was such a loving and real individual. And one of the best a part of his life was nonetheless forward.”