Black Cats chief admits he will need to hold talks with the club’s owners this summer regarding his future
DAVID MOYES has hinted for the first time that he could quit Sunderland in the summer.
The Black Cats boss has always previously insisted he will be at the Stadium of Light next season, whatever division his rock-bottom side are in.
But Moyes, who was appointed last July on a four-year deal, now admits he will have to hold talks over his future as soon as this campaign is over.
Keep up to date with all the latest news, gossip, rumours and done deals in SunSport’s live transfer blog
Sunderland could be relegated tomorrow against Bournemouth if fourth-bottom Hull better their result when they visit Southampton.
And asked if he would definitely still be here next season, Moyes replied: “I would say that I would make that decision at the end of the season.
“At this moment in time, it would be the wrong time to say that.
“I just have a situation where we need to see how things are at the end of the season.
“It’s me saying I will assess the situation at the end of the season.”
Moyes believes he still has the backing of owner Ellis Short and chief executive Martin Bain.
But fans want him out, calling for his head in Wednesday’s 1-0 derby defeat at Middlesbrough, having booed him in his technical area in the last home match against West Ham.
Moyes is certain to face a hostile reception during tomorrow’s visit of Eddie Howe’s Cherries.
Yet the Scot said: “There’s only one place I want to be on Saturday – and that’s somewhere around my technical area.”
Moyes also insists that if he should leave, it will not be because the crowd have turned against him.
He said: “It will never be because of the supporters. I totally appreciate supporters because I’m a football supporter, and I take responsibility.
“But I also feel that the responsibility should be shared and, if it was only directed at the manager, then I would be saying it’s probably not correct.
“But 12 months ago everyone was saying the best appointment was David Moyes. No one was saying it wasn’t.
“It has changed a bit in the last couple of weeks, maybe before that, because of the position we’re in, but you keep going in these situations.
“If it is the manager who they feel is the reason for the position, then fine.
“But I think there are some other reasons. There have been difficulties here for a lot of years.
“A long-term plan is definitely needed. Unfortunately lots of people want to talk about it but not see it happen.
“Change is often painful and sometimes time becomes an issue in the modern world.”
Moyes reckons that a lack of investment from supremo Short is the main reason for this season’s struggle.
Asked if in hindsight he would have done anything differently this term, he answered: “If you look at the amount of players who left last summer, there had to be a group of players brought back in.
“For different reasons, a lot of them were free transfers and loan players.
“We probably were not able to do as much business in that part of the season as we would have liked.
“I think January was the first profit we have had in transfers at this club in any transfer window for quite some time.”