A tsunami killed at the very least 222 folks and injured tons of on the Indonesian islands of Java and Sumatra following an underwater landslide believed to have been attributable to the erupting Anak Krakatau volcano, officers mentioned.
READ MORE: Tsunami that claimed 222 lives in Indonesia struck with out warning
Indonesia sits on the geologically energetic Pacific Ring of Hearth and is often hit by earthquakes. Listed here are a number of the main quakes and tsunamis lately:
– 2004: A large 9.1 magnitude quake on the western coast of Indonesia‘s Aceh province in northern Sumatra on Dec. 26 triggered a tsunami that struck 14 nations, killing 226,000 folks alongside the Indian Ocean shoreline, greater than half of them in Aceh.
– 2005: A collection of robust quakes hit the western coast of Sumatra in late March and early April. A whole bunch died in Nias Island, off the coast of Sumatra.
WATCH: Hospitals overwhelmed following lethal tsunami in Indonesia
– 2006: A shallow quake rocked the world round historical royal metropolis of Yogyakarta in Java killing at the very least 5,500 and destroying or damaging 150,000 houses.
– 2006: A 6.eight magnitude quake hit south of Java, Indonesia‘s most populated island, triggering a tsunami that smashed into the southern coast, killing almost 700 folks.
READ MORE: How did a volcano presumably set off Indonesia’s lethal tsunami?
– 2009: A 7.6 magnitude quake struck close to the town of Padang, capital of West Sumatra province. Greater than 1,100 folks had been killed.
– 2010: A 7.5 magnitude quake hit one of many Mentawai islands, off Sumatra, triggering a tsunami of as much as 10 meters that destroyed dozens of villages and killed round 300 folks.
– 2016: A shallow quake hit the Pidie Jaya regency in Aceh, inflicting destruction and panic as folks had been reminded by the devastation of the lethal 2004 quake and tsunami. No tsunami was triggered, however greater than 100 had been killed by fallen buildings.
WATCH: Rescuers pull our bodies from rubble of collapsed buildings after earthquake in Pidie Jaya (Dec. 7, 2016)
– 2018: Main quakes hit Indonesia‘s vacationer island of Lombok, killing greater than 500 folks, totally on the northern facet of the island.
WATCH: Indonesian island of Lombok struggles to get better as earthquake dying toll nears 400
– 2018: Greater than 2,000 folks had been killed by a strong earthquake and tsunami that hit the town of Palu, on the west coast of Sulawesi island.