A vape pen’s battery, which overheated aboard a SkyWest flight on Wednesday, brought about a small hearth to erupt aboard the aircraft earlier than takeoff in New York, however was shortly extinguished as a result of fast motion by a flight attendant.
The flight was to journey from LaGuardia Airport to Houston that afternoon when flames shot out of the overhead storage bin, inflicting smoke to fill the cabin.
Assist us enhance Globalnews.ca
Rex Sakamoto, a NowThis producer, instructed CBS2 that it was a scary expertise.
“You might inform it was a really sturdy odor — smelled like a campfire at first,” he mentioned. “As soon as I spotted and somebody yelled hearth, it was startling, like, wow, I must get off this aircraft proper now.”
READ MORE: Man dies after vape pen explodes in his face, severing main neck artery
He mentioned sparks flew from overhead as passengers continued to board, and video captured a flight attendant strolling in the direction of the bin and utilizing a hearth extinguisher to place out the hearth.
Passengers have been then requested to go away the aircraft and did so with out incident, spokesperson Layne Watson instructed USA Right this moment. He added that the hearth was brought on by the vape pen’s “charger meeting.”
E-cigarettes and vaping gadgets are allowed in carry-on however usually are not permitted in checked baggage, in response to the Transportation Security Administration. USA Right this moment stories that recharging the gadgets or batteries, nevertheless, shouldn’t be allowed on the plane.
Sakamoto instructed CBS he was grateful the incident occurred the place it did.
READ MORE: Florida man killed by exploding vape pen: post-mortem report
“I’m simply so glad it occurred on the bottom and never within the air,” he mentioned.
Based on FlightAware, an airline monitoring web site, the flight ultimately left New York at 7:35 p.m. ET and arrived in Houston at 10:34 p.m. CT.
© 2019 World Information, a division of Corus Leisure Inc.