A FORMER WWE star has opened up on the most important struggle of his life towards an opponent that has by no means been defeated.
Matt Cappotelli, 38, received his contract with the wrestling promotion after profitable Robust Sufficient III in 2003.
Now he’s presently in the course of a devastating rematch with probably the most lethal type of mind most cancers.
Cappotelli has been identified with a Grade four glioblastoma tumor, however the ex-WWE grappler doesn’t need sympathy, as a substitute he’s hoping to supply inspiration.
He advised WDRB: “Although it appears unlucky, I need it to be portrayed as a narrative of hope… never-ending hope.”
That is his second battle with the devastating most cancers following his drama-filled struggle after discovering a mind tumour again in 2005.
After profitable the Robust Sufficient actuality present he was despatched off to the Ohio Valley Wrestling developmental territory.
Though he had large expertise, he was by no means capable of change into a mainstay on WWE‘s major roster and solely made a handful of TV appearances of Uncooked and Sunday Evening Warmth attributable to harm woes.
FIGHT BACK WWE star reveals how she was left suicidal with baldness and anorexia
First it was a damaged leg, then a concussion after which one other head harm, which might reveal his first mind tumour upon examination after the trainers pressured him to go to hospital.
WWE legend and Cappotelli’s developmental coach Al Snow mentioned: “He begged me to not go. I bear in mind him sobbing. He didn’t need it to be taken away from him once more.”
Cappotelli recalls: “If I hadn’t gone to the hospital that night, who knows how long (the tumor) would have gone unnoticed.”
Although he beat cancer in 2007, it ended his career as a wrestler and he made an emotional last-ever appearance in the ring as he prayed, asked for strength and for his journey to be an inspiration to others suffering with illness.
His faith saw go reach ten years of remission, and now he is believing in a miracle despite being struck down by another tumour.
He said: “People say I’m strong but I’m not strong I’m weak, GOD is strong. The first time was shock, but this time it kind of took the wind out of my sails. Every year you get past cancer and into remission you get more comfortable that you’re beyond it.”
Surgeons removed 90 per cent of the mass pressing onto his skull back in June, with the remaining 10 per cent being treated with chemotherapy – but it is considered too dangerous to touch as it is next to the brain stem.
Doctors have given him the grave news that it is terminal, and only five per cent of patients make it past five years with approximately 13,000 people die with cancer like Cappotelli’s each year.
Dr. Renato LaRocca, an oncologist at Norton Cancer Institute, said: “A diagnosis of cancer like this is not a war. It’s a military campaign.
“In other words, you fight battles, then you reorganise, then you fight again but it’s a journey.”
Cappotelli’s battle so far has left him with side effects of Parkinson’s – with slowed speech, emotional response, motor skills and function – but not the actual disease.
But the wrestling spirit still lives strong inside him as he refuses to submit.
After his retirement from the ring he became a personal trainer, with neighbours often seeing him working out in the garage of his Louisville home as he tries to regain what he has lost by keeping fit.
?How to claim your FREE £30 bet?
1 Register for Sun Bets here
2 Bet £10 or more
3 Sun Bets will stick a £30 bet in your account
CLAIM YOUR FREE £30 BET Check out this new sign up offer from Sun Bets
He also has a new tag partner to help him in his battle, the Optune device that resembles a swimming cap but pumps electronic waves through his brain. He wears it for 18 hours a day.
In addition to the Optune, a number of friends, family members and old colleagues have teamed together to rally behind Cappotelli to form Team Capp.
They have raised more than £22,000 so far to help him with his medical expenses with other donations pouring in from around the globe.
The OVW promotion also hosted a benefit show for him, with Cappotelli telling the crowd: “It’s times like this that you need to know who’s in your corner.
“When I do get through this, just know I will be there for you.”
Cappotelli is undoubtedly backed up against the ropes, but as so often happens in the whacky world of wrestling, the good guy is refusing to go down without a fight.
And he is not short of supporters willing him to have his hand raised in victory again.
To help donate to Capotelli’s fight, visit the Go Fund Me page by clicking here.