On Friday, the United Nations Safety Council voted unanimously to undertake new sanctions towards North Korea. Most notably, the brand new decision bans practically 90 per cent of refined petroleum product exports to North Korea and calls for that each one North Koreans working overseas be despatched house inside 24 months.
That is simply the most recent spherical of sanctions imposed on North Korea because it carried out its first nuclear take a look at in 2006. Little by little, the United Nations has barred commerce in all types of issues with the regime.
Right here’s a have a look at what’s at the moment banned, and what isn’t. Particular person international locations and worldwide entities just like the European Union have additionally enacted their very own sanctions, however the United Nations sanctions are the idea for worldwide motion. Whereas a few of these are topic to sure limits or exceptions, it’s a reasonably intensive checklist.
Right here’s what the UN prohibits.
WATCH: U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley stated Friday that the brand new spherical of sanctions on North Korea will ship a message that “additional defiance will invite additional punishment.”
The provision, sale or switch of:
- Fairly nicely all weapons, together with tanks, armoured fight autos, massive calibre artillery programs, fight plane, assault helicopters, warships, missiles, or missile programs and even small arms
- Related materials like spare components for these weapons
- Coaching or providers associated to these issues
- Luxurious items, together with jewellery, fancy watches, crystal and china, costly rugs, yachts, leisure autos like snowmobiles and jet-skis, sports activities tools and luxurious vehicles
- Plane and rocket gas, with a couple of small exceptions
- Condensates and pure fuel liquids
- Refined petroleum merchandise like gasoline or kerosene, capped at 500,000 barrels per yr
- Crude oil, capped at four million barrels a yr
- Monetary providers, together with bulk money funds, joint ventures with North Koreans and even opening North Korean financial institution accounts, that might contribute to North Korean missile or nuclear packages
- Another objects, if the UN member state thinks that it could possibly be used to additional North Korea’s nuclear, missile or weapons of mass destruction packages except it’s meals or medication
- Crew providers for North Korean autos like ships or planes
- Educating or coaching in chemical engineering, superior electrical engineering, and another superior sciences
- Insurance coverage providers
Member states are additionally required to:
- Freeze the belongings of individuals recognized as being engaged in or offering assist for North Korea’s nuclear, weapons of mass destruction and missile packages
- Not permit these individuals to journey into their territories, except they’re residents there
- Additionally, freeze the belongings of and ban anybody decided to be working for these recognized individuals
- If the recognized individuals are from North Korea, deport them again there
- Examine cargo destined for North Korea to ensure that it doesn’t embody something that’s banned and destroy prohibited supplies
- Monitor their very own nationals and monetary establishments to verify they’re not doing banned actions
- Forestall North Korean banks from opening new branches of their territory and shut current branches
- Not give authorities grants or export credit to residents partaking in commerce with North Korea if it might contribute to the North Korean missile or nuclear packages
- Not let plane fly over their territory in the event that they’re suspected of containing banned items
- Not let North Korea use actual property of their nation apart from diplomatic or consular functions
North Korea can’t export:
- Any arms or army tools, or undertake any monetary transactions or technical coaching associated to those issues
- Coal, iron and iron ore
- Gold, titanium ore, vanadium ore, uncommon earth minerals, copper, nickel, silver, lead, lead ore and zinc
What’s nonetheless allowed:
- Meals and medication
- Different issues that the exporting state determines are purely for humanitarian functions
— With recordsdata from Reuters
© 2017 World Information, a division of Corus Leisure Inc.