It’s the new 12 months. The time for brand new beginnings. The time for resolutions! The time for change! It’s the time that influencers let you know to cease making excuses, to make 2019 the 12 months you do all of the issues! Shed extra pounds! Go natural! Write that e book! Save that cash! Get organised! Be taught that language! Fall in love! Stay your finest life!
Properly, I’ve lived by means of 50 new years. I’m seasoned, because it have been. So earlier than you begin deciding to alter your life, let me let you know all I that didn’t obtain this 12 months.
And you already know what? I’m completely superb.
In 2018 I didn’t:
- Give up sugar/go vegan/go natural/eat clear. Certain, I ate a balanced eating regimen. I ate fruit and veggies, and wholegrains and nuts. However pricey lord, I loved my processed sugar. I began the 12 months consuming chewy lollies each evening, moved on to Fantales, had a quick stint with Redskins, and later within the 12 months switched to jelly snakes. I beloved my snakes properly. I seemed ahead to them day-after-day. They usually didn’t appear to do me any hurt.
Give up ingesting. I didn’t drink greater than a few occasions a month for many of my grownup life. Then I developed a middle-aged style for gin, and in current occasions have indulged in a G&T most nights. I’ve totally loved my little night tipple. Cheers!
- Take advantage of my time. I waffled a lot in 2018. I messed round on the web. I took common naps, and much more common breaks the place I wandered aimlessly round the home, staring blankly into cabinets. I misplaced many an hour weeping over delivery movies on Instagram, and fell down all kinds of rabbit holes Googling actors from Netflix films. And you already know what? I sort of loved it.
- Fall in love. Alas, I didn’t meet the subsequent nice love of my life this 12 months. I seemed for him! He wasn’t on the relationship websites and he wasn’t on the events, and the Universe didn’t manifest him for me. It’s a disgrace, as a result of it might have been pretty to satisfy him, however I nonetheless had a really nice 12 months in his absence. And I’m no lesser for it. Real love is fantastic, my mates, however remarkably onerous to seek out.
Lean in. I’ve carried out my work, I’ve written some good columns, however I’m keenly conscious that I might have been extra profitable if I labored tougher. I might have written one other e book this 12 months, or edited an anthology, or began a podcast, or … hell, I don’t know! I might have carried out one thing. However I didn’t work onerous sufficient. I didn’t totally lean in. You possibly can say I used to be lazy, or I used to be content material, or I simply valued my household and free time. Both approach, I labored simply onerous sufficient this 12 months, and I really feel OK about it.
- Push myself approach outdoors my consolation zone. I imply, aside from residing, as a result of life itself this 12 months was bloody uncomfortable. Studying the information every day was an train in going out of my consolation zone. Trump, international warming, racism, sexism, poverty, warfare, famine … Critically, I felt discomfort each time I click on onto the web. And so I did my work. I parented my youngsters. I pushed myself when it was completely needed. I made that decision, I wrote about that challenge, I talked about that factor, I went to that occasion. However for probably the most half, I stayed as near my consolation zone as potential. Every day life was difficult sufficient.
- Stay my finest life. What does that even imply? I lived my life! It was a reasonably respectable 12 months, I suppose. Wouldn’t it have been finest if it was higher? Wouldn’t it have been higher if it was finest? I assume I’ll by no means know.