Massimiliano Allegri is desperate for new central midfielder and has been looking at Paris Saint-Germain’s Blaise Matuidi
JUVENTUS are considering a bid for Manchester United target Nemanja Matic, according to reports.
Jose Mourinho has identified the Serb as the man he wants to add some steel to the Red Devils’ midfield.
Matic was one of the key elements the Special One added to his Chelsea team in 2014 to transform them into champions — and is keen on a reunion this summer.
However, the Daily Mail report that United could have competition from the Serie A champions.
The 28-year-old is understood to prefer a switch to Old Trafford, and could even try to force the move through.
With the imminent signing of Tiemoue Bakayoko, Chelsea would be happy for him to leave — but would prefer he join a club outside the Premier League.
And Massimiliano Allegri is considering giving his Juventus predecessor Antonio Conte that option.
The Bianconeri have made a top class central midfielder their No.1 priority this summer.
Nemanja Matic factfile
- Born in Sabac, Serbia, in August, 1988.
- He began his career aged five at Vrelo, where he was coached by his father, just 500m from his house.
- In 2005 he signed for Serbian club Kolubara, and then moved to Slovakian side Kosice in 2007.
- He spent time on trial at Middlesbrough before Chelsea beat Sunderland and Tottenham to sign him in August 2009 for £1.5million.
- After two first team games, Chelsea sent him on loan to Dutch side Vitesse Arnhem.
- In January 2011 Matic was sold to Benfica along with £21million in exchange for Brazil defender David Luiz.
- He flourished at Benfica, was named Portuguese Player of the Year and reached the Europa League final, where they were beaten by Chelsea.
- In January 2014, Chelsea, under manager Jose Mourinho, signed him back for £21million, and he made his second Chelsea debut against Man Utd.
- He has won two Premier League titles in three seasons at Chelsea, and last season played 40 games, scoring twice including a stunning strike in the FA Cup semi-final against Tottenham.
- Matic is a strong tackling defensive midfielder who is tactically disciplined and at 6ft 4in tall is very good in the air.
- His brother Uros is also a professional footballer, with FC Copenhagen.
- He is married to childhood sweetheart Aleksandra, who he met at school, and they have two children.
Since they reached the Champions League final in 2015, the centre of the park has been decimated with Andrea Pirlo moving to the MLS, Arturo Vidal to Bayern Munich and Paul Pogba to United.
While Claudio Marchisio’s injuries have kept him out of the team for long periods.
Juventus have also been eyeing up Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Blaise Matuidi, who they came close to signing last summer.
Inter Milan are another major name who have looked at Matic in this window.
The Nerazzurri want to bring in a big-name so they can lay the groundwork for their desired return among the elite.
Keep up to date with all the latest news, gossip, rumours and done deals in SunSport’s live transfer blog