Letting your hair down and going for a few drinks with friends after a long week at work is something pretty normal, but make sure that you don’t get too drunk! A 26-year-old man in Guangdong, China got really drunk on 7th June when he was hanging out with his friends and somehow got home in the middle of the night.
However, the man, identified as Chang, was surprised to find that he had lost his keys, so he asked someone in his house to open the door for him. Sohu reported that he fell asleep quickly as he was rather drunk but as the influence of the alcohol faded over the night, Chang discovered that he was starting to experience severe chest pains.
When he woke up he was still feeling pain in his chest, so he went to the Dongguan Hospital to have it checked out. After performing an X-ray on him, the doctors there realised that his chest pains were actually caused by swallowing his bunch of keys the night before when he was drunk – which was why he could not find them. How on earth did he do that?
Chang said he did not remember how it happened as he was too drunk. He was shocked to see the X-ray, and the doctors had to quickly think of how they were going to remove the bunch of keys from Chang’s body.
The doctors had to take some time to analyse the situation as they were afraid that if Chang were to excrete the bunch of keys, they would encounter intestinal obstruction. They were also worried that the keys would cause tears in the oesophagus if they were to forcibly pull it out. If no other solution was found, they would have to resort to surgery to get the foreign object out of Chang’s body.
It was a holiday period during this time in China, but luckily, two specialists came back from their vacation early to save Chang. An anaesthesiologist administered anaesthetic on Chang, which caused his muscles to relax, and the doctor was able to remove the keys using a scope through his oesophagus as his relaxed muscles allowed more room for the extraction. Chang managed to make a full recovery, but we bet that he won’t forget this incident in a hurry!
Be careful and don’t get as drunk as Chang when you’re hanging out with your friends!
Also read: Man Suspected Of Drunk Driving After Failing Breathalyser, Turns Out He Was Just Eating Durian