Citizens reportedly rebuff Blues interest in Argentine as the champions continue search for striker
MANCHESTER CITY have reportedly ruled out any possibility of selling Sergio Aguero to Chelsea.
The champions are desperately looking for a new striker and believed the Argentine was open to leaving the Etihad.
However, the Daily Mail are claiming that the Citizens have no desire to allow their hotshot to depart for a Premier League rival.
Aguero and his agent have always maintained the forward had a good relationship with City boss Pep Guardiola, even when he lost his place in the side to Gabriel Jesus.
And the 29-year-old was part of the squad that flew out to the USA on the club’s pre-season tour on Monday.
Both Guardiola and City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarek have always maintained that they did not want to sell the hugely-popular star.
Speaking earlier this summer, the latter said: “I’ve read a lot of the speculation on this and it’s ridiculous.
“Sergio Aguero is one of the best players in the world. We are a team that aspires to win every competition we compete in.
“Having Sergio Aguero as part of the squad is an absolute must. It has never been in doubt.”
That did not stop Chelsea enquiring about the ace, but their approach has been met with a firm rejection.
The club and Antonio Conte’s search for a new striker will now take them elsewhere with Borussia Dortmund’s Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang now their No1 target.
They also retain an interest in Real Madrid’s Alvaro Morata but the Spaniard looks set to remain at the Bernabeu.
- Pierre Emerick-Aubameyang is a Gabon international, but was born in Laval, France in 1989
- After 12 years playing in French youth football, Aubameyang joined Italian club AC Milan, where big things were expected
- But incredibly, now valued at more than £60million, the Rossoneri never gave him a chance. He was loaned out to four clubs before joining French outfit St Etienne for a fee believed to be less than £1m
- He was the top scorer in his first season in France, despite joining in December. He ended with 16 goals in Ligue 1
- The following season only Zlatan Ibrahimovic scored more goals than the Gabon striker. This earned him a move to Borussia Dortmund
- His finest season in the Bundesliga was the one just passed, 2016/17 where he finished with a majestic 42 goals in 51 games
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is the son of former Gabonese international Pierre Aubameyang
Keep up to date with all the latest news, gossip, rumours and done deals in SunSport’s live transfer blog