Brazilian star pulls out of appearance in Shanghai as he edges closer to stunning £195million move to France
NEYMAR has cancelled a fan signing session due to “the player and his staff” being “involved in a transfer”.
The Brazilian superstar is on the verge of becoming the world’s most-expensive player as Paris Saint-Germain attempt to bring him to France.
PSG are willing to meet his £195million buy-out clause in his Barcelona contract with the 25-year-old reported to have agreed a five-year contract worth around £500,000-a-week.
And now his decision to pull out of an appearance in Shanghai only intensifies speculation on his future – especially after his training ground bust-up with team-mate Nelson Semedo.
According to Goal, the Chinese business who had organised the supporter signing session claimed it had been cancelled due to his upcoming mega-move.
A statement from the travel company said: “Neymar and his team are busy solving problems on a transfer, they could not guarantee his presence on July 31 in Shanghai.”
The Samba sensation appears to be affected by the PSG transfer saga after his confrontation with Semedo.
Neymar had to be physically restrained after clashing with the full-back, who joined from Benfica last week, this morning.
The video of the scuffle, which was shown on Sky Sports, comes just seconds after Neymar scores a goal.
Semedo’s arm goes around Neymar’s neck and the pair jump all over each other before squaring up face-to-face.
Semedo then walks away as the rest of the Barcelona players look on, but then Neymar shouts over to him.
He then walks in the direction of Semedo before being grabbed and held back by Sergio Busquets.
Semedo distances himself from the action as Neymar tears off his vest and throws it to the floor before lashing at a ball in frustration.
French newspaper Le Parisien are reporting that the wantaway ace has already agreed terms with PSG, and that it is simply a matter of “when” and not “if”.
In what could be his last appearance in a Barca shirt, Neymar netted the only goal of the game in a 1-0 friendly victory against Manchester United in the US yesterday.
Capitalising on some poor United defending the 25-year-old kept his nerve in the box, swivelled and fired past David de Gea.
Neymar factfile: Everything you need to know on the soon-to-be most expensive footballer in the world
- Born on February 5, 1992 in Mogi das Cruzes, Sao Paulo
- Joined local side Portugesa Santista as a seven-year-old, before mocing to Santos at 11
- Made his senior debut for Santos at just 17, scoring 14 goals in total his first season
- At age 18 he led Santos to the Brazilian title and came third in the South American Footballer of the Year award
- Won man of the match in the 2011 Copa Libertadores final, as Santos beat Penarol – it was the Brazilian club’s first time winning the competition since Pele was playing 1963
- Eventually left Santos in 2013 after winning three Brazilian titles and scoring 136 goals in 225 matches – all before 21
- Moved to Barcelona in 2013, with Barca president Josep Bartomeu charged with tax fraud after it was revealed he had paid the star’s parents €40million
- In five years at the club has helped Barcelona win two La Liga titles, the Copa del Rey three times, the Club World Cup and the Champions League in 2015
- Has scored 105 goals in 186 matches for Barca, adding 59 assists in that time
- Fast-tracked into the Brazil national team at just 18, he already has 52 goals in 77 caps – fourth on the all-time list.
- Has been the Selecao’s permanent captain since 2015
He was then substituted at half time, along with fellow superstars Messi and Luis Suarez.
In 186 games for Barcelona in all competitions, the 2016 Olympic gold medal winner has netted a staggering 105 times.
Keep up to date with all the latest news, gossip, rumours and done deals in SunSport’s live transfer blog