CHAZZ WITHERSPOON shall be Oleksandr Usyk’s first combat at heavyweight on Saturday after unique opponent Tyrone Spong was pressured out on account of an antagonistic doping check.
The 38-year-old is stepping in at simply 4 days’ discover however insists he is able to tackle the undefeated Ukrainian in Chicago.
Following the announcement, the American (41-38-Three) mentioned: “I’ve been in coaching prepared for a giant combat, and it would not get larger than this.
“I am unable to wait to face Usyk. Oleksandr is stepping as much as heavyweight – and he will discover out that it is a completely totally different sport.
“I’ve gained my final eight fights and I actually really feel that I have been ready within the wings for an enormous alternative like this.”
Usyk was the primary man ever to carry the WBA (Tremendous), WBC, IBF and WBO cruiserweight titles and final fought when he efficiently defended all of them towards Tony Bellew final November.
He vacated the belts in March with a view to transfer as much as heavyweight and can now be trying to stretch his document to 17-Zero towards Witherspoon following Spong’s withdrawal.
Spong, 34, loved a formidable profession in MMA and kickboxing earlier than profitable his first 14 fights as a professional boxer.
Nevertheless his shot at ending Usyk’s excellent document was ended, no less than for the time-being, on account of an antagonistic end result beneath Voluntary Anti-Doping Affiliation testing.
VADA requires fighters to pay for testing all through the length of their coaching camp within the build-up to bouts.
Boxing information LIVE – Newest gossip and updates
KSI vs Logan Paul rematch: When will the second fight of the Youtubers take place?
Who is Billy Joe Saunders facing on KSI vs Logan Paul undercard?
LO AND BEHOLD
Billy Joe Saunders to face Coceres for USA bow on KSI v Logan Paul undercard
Watch Usyk show off dance moves ahead of heavyweight debut against Witherspoon
Logan Paul tipped to become heavyweight world champ by trainer Shannon Briggs
And it says Spong was part of its programme on September 20 and tested positive for clomiphene, the same banned substance that Jon Jones and Brock Lesnar failed tests for at UFC 200 back in 2016.
But he told BoxingScene.com: “This is a set-up. I vehemently deny that I have ever taken the substance named in VADA’s report.
“I have asked for testing of the B sample at a laboratory of my choosing. Testing performed last week at the request of the Illinois Boxing Commission showed, what I’ve always known, that I’m a clean fighter.”