TWO of Watford boss Marco Silva’s former sides have been handed mission impossible after being drawn with Barcelona and Juventus.
Olympiakos and Sporting CP know they need a win in Athens to have any realistic chance of progressing to the last 16.
- This is the first ever competitive encounter between Olympiakos and Sporting.
- Olympiakos have won all four of their home games in the Champions League against
Portuguese opposition, all by a one-goal margin.
- Meanwhile, Sporting’s only previous encounter with a Greek club saw them win 4-1 at
home against Panionios in the UEFA Cup in November 2004.
- Olympiakos are making their 18th appearance in the Champions League, that’s twice as
many as any other Greek side (Panathinakos, 9). Their best performance came in 1998/99
when they reached the quarter finals.
- Olympiakos have reached the knockout stages of the Champions League only once in
their last five appearances (round of 16 in 2013/14).
- Only one of Olympiakos’ last 35 Champions League games has ended in a draw (W17
L17), it was against Benfica in October 2013 (1-1).
- Olympiakos have won 11 of their last 15 Champions League home games (L4).
- Olympiakos knocked out Partizan Belgrade and Rijeka to qualify for this season’s
Champions League group stages.
- This is Sporting’s eighth Champions League appearance, the third most for a Portuguese
club after Porto and Benfica.
- Sporting have made it to the knockout stages of the Champions League only once in their
previous seven campaigns. It was in 2008/09.
- Sporting have lost six of their last seven Champions League games (W1), including their
last four. They’ve never lost five in a row in the competition.
- Sporting have kept only one clean sheet in their last 14 Champions League games, that
came against Legia Warsaw in September 2016 (2-0).
- Olympiakos striker Emmanuel Emenike has scored two goals and delivered one assist in
four Champions League group games, with Spartak Moscow in 2012/13.
- Olympiakos are the third club Besnik Hasi has managed in the Champions League, after
Anderlecht (6 games) and Legia Warsaw (1 game). He’s only won one of his seven games
- Sporting are Seydou Doumbia’s third club in the Champions League after CSKA Moscow
and Basel. With 14 goals, he’s the second most prolific Ivorian in the competition after
Didier Drogba (44).
- Sporting manager Jorge Jesus has taken charge of 40 games in the Champions League,
the second-most for a Portuguese manager after Jose Mourinho (133). His best
performance dates back to 2011/12 when he reached the quarter finals with Benfica.
MOST READ IN FOOTBALL
Paul Pogba faces weeks on the sidelines after leaving Old Trafford on crutches with suspected hamstring injury
Celtic fan arrested after running on the pitch and trying to KICK Kylian Mbappe during clash with PSG
IT'S NOT A GAME
Jose Mourinho slams Manchester United stars for playing 'Playstation football' in 3-0 win over Basel
SPOT OF BOTHER
Marco Asensio is ruled out for Real Madrid… because he has an infected pimple after shaving his legs