TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR have blocked Mauricio Pochettino from answering questions regarding Manchester United’s reported interest in him succeeding Jose Mourinho.
SunSport understand the Argentine is the No.1 candidate to become the next permanent boss at Old Trafford.
Speculation has intensified since the exit of the Portuguese coach, with additional reports claiming Pochettino is indeed interested in a move to United.
Having been asked directly about the role in the wake of Mourinho’s departure on Tuesday, enquiries regarding the rumours resumed today ahead of the trip to Everton on Sunday.
But Spurs’ head of communications stepped in to block Pochettino from issuing a response before the press conference. It was halted again later on to allow the club to clarify their position.
Another six months of speculation is set to follow but it remains to be seen whether the North Londoners will reverse their stance.
Upon being asked about United earlier this week, Pochettino said: “It’s not in my hands how to manage all of these rumours.
“I am not creating rumours, I am here. The players don’t care too much about what happened about the rumours.
“We are focused and we are going to be focused on our job and then we are very professional.
“Like always in football, no one can guarantee nothing. We were talking a few weeks ago and I said if a chairman or president is going to support you, then it’s because you are going to be sacked the day after.
“The job is so tough, because nobody in football can guarantee you are going to be here tomorrow.
“In football, I say today is white, tomorrow is black. For me, the most important thing is to be natural.
“What is going to happen in the summer? What is going to happen tomorrow? No one knows.
“The most important thing is to enjoy the journey. I’m so happy here.”
Reports on Thursday suggested that United would be forced to pay in excess of £40million to bring Pochettino to the club, with Daniel Levy prepared to play hardball.
Pochettino signed a new contract until 2023 in May and United would be forced to pay-out the remaining four years of his deal plus a additional fee if they want to bring him to the club.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has been placed in interim charge until the end of the season as United embark on a thorough recruitment process.
The Norwegian’s first game in charge comes this weekend against Cardiff City.