Champions League holders determined to get extra millions to launch pursuit of Monaco star
REAL MADRID are willing to sell Mateo Kovacic to Tottenham in order to fund a move for Monaco star Kylian Mbappe, according to reports.
The back-to-back Champions League winners are desperate to the land the 18-year-old hotshot from the French champions.
Paris Saint-Germain have now entered the race for the teen sensation and are willing to match any offer made by the La Liga giants.
Aresenal are also hopeful that they can persuade him to move to the Emirates – but Monaco are holding out for a world record fee of around £132million.
And that has now prompted Madrid to listen to offers for Kovacic, according to the Evening Standard.
The 23-year-old Croatian midfielder made just 19 league starts last season and is desperate for more game time.
And his chances of playing are due to suffer a further setback with Madrid close to signing Real Betis’ Dani Ceballos.
Kovacic’s potential sale would add valuable funds to the transfer kitty for a move to land Mbappe.
Kylian Mbappe factfile
- Born in Bondy, a suburb of Paris, on December 20, 1998
- Joined Moncao in 2013 after two years at the famed French national football centre, Clairefontaine
- Made his Monaco debut on December 2, 2015 – beating Thierry Henry’s 21-year-old record to become the club’s youngest ever player aged 16 years, 347 days
- Scored his first goal for the club in February 2016 and become Monaco’s youngest ever scorer aged, 17 years, 62 days, once again beating a Thierry Henry record
- In February 2017, become the youngest player since 2005 to score a Ligue 1 hat-trick, aged 18 years and two months
- Took the Champions League by storm, helping Monaco to the semi-final of the competition with six goals in nine matches
- Finished the season with 26 goals in all competitions and was named in the Ligue 1 and the Champions League teams of the season
- Made his France debut in March 27 against Luxembourg – becoming the second youngest French player ever (behind Maryan Wisnieski) at 18 years, 3 months, 5 days
Alvaro Morata and James Rodriguez, who Madrid hoped to offload for big fees, are both still at the club.
Tottenham have been interested in Kovacic all summer but could face competition for the ace.
Madrid have also offered him to several other clubs around Europe as they attempt to offload him.
And in a further blow, they could still miss out due to his financial demands.
Kovacic is currently on more than Spurs’ strict wage structure would allow them to offer.
Keep up to date with all the latest news, gossip, rumours and done deals in SunSport’s live transfer blog