USAIN BOLT has vowed end career in style next month’s World Championships by winning 100m gold and making amends for the false-start which cost him dear in 2011.
Bolt dismissed claims he could race again after his world title bid in London by competing at either the Zurich or Brussels Diamond League meeting.
But speaking in Monaco ahead of his final race tomorrow before he defends his 100m world crown at the Olympic Stadium on August 5 he insisted London will be his swansong.
Bolt will also race in the 4x100m relay on August 12 – the night his pal Mo Farah defends his 5,000m world title before himself retiring from the track to concentrate on the marathon.
The Jamaican, who holds the world records in the 100m, the 200m and the 4x100m as well as seven Olympic titles, currently has 11 world titles.
The only blot on his record was when he famously false-started in the blue riband event at the 2011 world championships in South Korea.
Bolt admitted: “I’ve always said I missed out on one, the 100m in 2011, so that is the main reason I am doing the 100m and not doing the 200m as well in London.
“London will definitely be the last race. My agent made a joke on the way here that if I am going to run after London it will have to be like the Mayweather-McGregor fight.
MOR THE MERRIER
Alvaro Morata lands in London with wife ahead of £65m Chelsea move after emotional Real Madrid goodbye
No pain in spain
What unwanted Real Madrid star Alvaro Morata told Zinedine Zidane before jetting off to seal £65m Chelsea move
Hot off the press
Chelsea stars David Luiz, Willian, Victor Moses and Pedro print their own champions shirts in China
Alvaro Morata vs Romelu Lukaku… have Antonio Conte’s Chelsea or Jose Mourinho’s Man United got the better deal?
Toffees sticking point
Everton defender Ramiro Funes Mori faces up to NINE months out after knee surgery
How about Mat?
Man United given Nemanja Matic boost after Juventus put off bid by Chelsea’s £40m asking price
“So I doubt I’ll be running after! That’s a no.
“I’ve achieved everything so my final goal in London, my main aim is just to win. I want to retire on a winning note.
“It has always been the goal of my career to continue dominating and continue winning.”
The 30 year-old said: “I’ve done everything that I possibly can in the sport. I asked Michael Johnson, because I was the same as you, I was surprised when he retired.
“I asked him why he retired when you were dominating so much and he said ‘I’d done everything I wanted to, I had accomplished all of my goals’.
“That’s how I feel at this point, so I decided that it’s just time.”
Even having to hand one Olympic gong back since – a relay gold from Beijing 2008 – after Jamaican team-mate Nesta Carter tested positive does not appear to have diminished his achievements.
In clinching his third Olympic 100m crown last summer he became the first track athlete to win a hat-trick of medals in the same event.
Trying to stop him in his tracks in London will be young Canadian sprinter Andre De Grasse who got 100m bronze behind him in Rio and rising American star Christian Coleman, the fastest in the world this year.
Arch rival and drug cheat Justin Gatlin is also still running under 10 secs regularly at the age of 35.
But Bolt said: “The youngsters are coming up and are doing great but I’m never worried about any one athlete.
“You always have youngsters coming up and doing great. I know what I am capable of, I’m always ready to go.”
He admitted he suffered earlier this season after pal Germaine Mason, the British high jumper who won Olympic silver at Beijing 2008 died in Jamaica in a motorbike accident.
Bolt drove out from his house only to find Mason already dead at the scene.
He said: “I’m feeling good. The season started off slow, for me there was a setback after my friend Germaine passed away.
“It kind of set me back and I had some work to do. I’m a little behind schedule but I am training well and feeling much better.”
Bolt, whose rivals tomorrow (FRI) in the 100m at the Monaco Diamond League meeting include British sprinter CJ Ujah, last raced here in 2011 weeks before losing his 100m crown in Daegu.
He is yet to break the 10 second barrier in his two races this season.
He said: “Monaco is always a good field. I think 17 sprinters have run under 10 seconds this season but I always tell people a one-off race is not something that I stress about.
“I have here to run fast and to entertain the crowd, but I am always here to work on different things to get perfect for the big race and that is coming in three weeks.
“Yes I want to win, yes I want to run well, but I am here to get better leading up to the World Championships.”