WAYNE ROONEY has revealed former England team-mate Steven Gerrard was the best Three Lions participant he performed alongside.
The veteran ahead comes out of worldwide retirement for one closing swansong in opposition to the USA tonight in what might be his 120th cap for his nation.
Roo, 33, performed in six main tournaments for England turning into the nation’s document scorer with 53 objectives.
As he regarded again on his illustrious profession, the Manchester United legend did not maintain again on his respect for Gerrard.
When quizzed by Gary Neville on the most effective England participant he performed with, Rooney advised Sky Sports activities: “For United it might be Scholesy, however for England I would need to say Gerrard.
“At occasions he obtained us via video games, on the interval the place we misplaced gamers like your self, Rio, Becks, he pulled us via a whole lot of video games.”
Wayne Rooney – His England profession damaged down
- England appearances: 119
- Debut: vs Australia 12 Feb 2003, aged 17 years 111 days
- Worldwide objectives: 53 – England’s document aim haul
- First aim: vs Macedonia 6 September 2003
- Wins: 71, Attracts: 29, Losses: 19
- Main tournaments: Six
- World Cup objectives: One – vs Uruguay in 2014
- Pink playing cards: Two – Portugal 2006, Montenegro 2012
- Caps as captain: 22 video games
- First captaincy: vs Brazil 14 November 2009
- England managers : Six – Eriksson, McClaren, Capello, Hodgson, Allardyce, Southgate
Rooney additionally recalled his favorite match earlier than revealed a away conflict in opposition to Spain was the hardest sport he performed in opposition to.
He added: “It was a pleasant, in opposition to Argentina in 2005, the place we received Three-2.
“I used to be nonetheless a younger lad, and I simply liked it. The rivalry, and though it was a pleasant it did not really feel like one in any respect. That they had some nice gamers. That feeling after the sport was unbelievable.
“Spain, away [the toughest] . I obtained subbed earlier than half-time. Actually for 40 minutes I did not contact the ball. I smashed Salgado, after which threw Casillas into the group, I used to be going to get despatched off so Sven took me off!”