United boss Jose Mourinho will be hoping to keep his astounding second-season record intact
MANCHESTER UNITED will face West Ham as they get their Premier League campaign underway.
After last season’s sixth-placed finish, manager Jose Mourinho will be hoping to keep his astounding second-season record intact.
In every one of his five reigns as manager of a major club – Porto, Chelsea (twice), Inter Milan and Real Madrid – Mourinho has won the league title in his second season.
He will be banking on new signings Romelu Lukaku, Victor Lindelof and Nemanja Matic to add the steel and firepower needed for a genuine assault on the title.
All could feature at Old Trafford as will former fans’ favourite Javier Hernandez – but in the claret and blue of West Ham following his £16 million transfer from Bayer Leverkeusen.
Hammers boss Slaven Bilic will have England No 1 goalkeeper Joe Hart at his disposal who arrived on loan from Manchester City along with Pablo Zabaleta.
Striker Marko Arnautovic could form a two-pronged attack with Hernandez after he moved from Stoke City for £24.5million.
In their final pre-season game, West Ham were brushed aside 3-0 by United’s neighbours City.
When is Manchester United vs West Ham?
The Red Devils will begin their Premier League campaign on Sunday August 13.
A full house is expected at United’s 76,000-capacity Old Trafford stadium.
The match will kick-off at 4pm.
What TV channel is Manchester United vs West Ham?
The game is being shown live on Sky Sports Premier League and Sky Sports Main Event.
You can also keep updated with all the action on talkSPORT and SunSport.
- Three of the last five Premier League games between these two clubs have ended in a draw, with one win apiece in this run.
- Manchester United are unbeaten in their last nine Premier League home games with West Ham United (W7 D2 L0) – their last home league defeat against the Hammers was on the final day of the 2006-07 season.
- No team has won more opening day fixtures in the Premier League than Manchester United (16, level with Chelsea).
- West Ham have lost more opening day fixtures than any other Premier League club (10).
- Jose Mourinho has won seven of his previous eight opening day Premier League fixtures as a manager (D1).
- Mourinho has never lost a home match on a Sunday in all competitions in his managerial career, winning 86 and drawing 26 of 112 games.
- Romelu Lukaku scored in seven straight Premier League matches for Everton against West Ham between 2013 and 2016, but failed to find the net in his last match against them in April at the London Stadium.
- Javier Hernandez scored 37 goals in 103 Premier League games for Manchester United, netting a goal every 130 minutes for the club.
- Joe Hart could become the first away goalkeeper to keep three Premier League clean sheets at Old Trafford, having previously kept two with Manchester City in March 2014 and October 2015.
- Five of West Ham’s last six Premier League goals against Manchester United have come from set pieces (one corner, four free-kicks).
Have you signed up to play fantasy football yet?
If the answer is no you need to take a long, hard look at yourself.
Because the Dream Team game – the UK’s biggest fantasy football game – is back and better than ever this season.
You’ve got a £50m budget to pick 11 players, with all the biggest new signings ready and raring to go ahead of a mouthwatering new Premier League campaign.
So what are you waiting for? Sign up to play now!
Keep up to date with all the latest news, gossip, rumours and done deals in SunSport’s live transfer blog