Huddersfield look to build on an historic welcome back to the top flight as they host fellow promoted club Newcastle.
THE TERRIERS must return from dream land if they are to beat a Newcastle side with the intellect of Rafa Benitez at the helm.
The Yorkshire club were inspired by newly signed Steve Mounie who bagged a brace in beating troubled Crystal Palace 3-0.
David Wagner is expected to play a 4231 system with new signing Tom Ince being a creative influence from the left wing, possessing the ability to provide a unique spark to the side.
The arrivals of Florian Lejeune and Javier Manquillo for Newcastle shows manager Rafa Benitez’s ambitions in enforcing his strong defensive style. Before Jonjo Shelvey was sent off last Sunday, they looked secure in handling Harry Kane and Dele Alli, long gone are the days when John Carver and Steve Mclaren’s sides would crumble with ease.
However, a few injuries against Spurs will certainly frustrate the former Liverpool manager. Although, the Magpies will be hard to break down, despite these absences.
Creative winger Matt Richie is a set-piece specialist and will cause danger to any side, his ability to cross a ball may be the key in creating chances for goalscorers Dwight Gayle and Aleksandar Mitrovic.
Benitez may use the same formation as his opponents, the 4231 system was heavily relied upon by the Spaniard in their campaign to win the Championship.
Newcastle under Rafa Benitez are not to be underestimated, with solidarity the key foundations to surviving relegation and should have superior quality to beat Huddersfield.
When is Huddersfield vs Newcastle?
The game will take place on Sunday, August 20.
Huddersfield will host the fixture in the 24,000-capacity John Smith’s stadium.
The match will kick off at 1:30.
What TV channel is Huddersfield vs Newcastle?
The game will be shown live on Sky Sports main event and Sky Sports Premier league.
Coverage begins at 12:30 pm.
You can also follow the match on the SunSport live blog.
What is the team news?
For Huddersfield, Martin Cranie, Jon Stankovic and Nahki Wells are ruled out with injury.
For Newcastle, Paul Dummett and Florian Lejeune were both taken off with injury against Spurs and both will miss the game.
Jonjo Shelvey will serve the first of a three match ban after his opening day red card, while DeAndre Yedlin and Jamie Sterry may not feature.
- Huddersfield’s solitary win in their last 11 meetings with Newcastle in all competitions came at St James’ Park in the Championship last season, running out 2-1 winners (D4 L6).
- The away side won both league contests in 2016-17, with the Magpies enjoying a 3-1 victory at the John Smith’s Stadium, courtesy of goals from Matt Ritchie, Daryl Murphy and Dwight Gayle.
- Huddersfield’s last venture in the top-flight ended with an 11-match winless run at home (D5 L6), which included a 0-0 draw with Newcastle in January 1972.
- Only two newly-promoted sides have won their first two Premier League games – Hull City in 2016-17 and Bolton Wanderers in 2001-02.
- However, the only sides to win both of their first two ever Premier League games were Coventry City and Norwich City, back in the first ever season of the competition.
- Huddersfield’s starting XI against Crystal Palace was the youngest of any team in MD1, with an average age of 25 years and 143 days.
- In last season’s Championship, Newcastle earned their highest ever number of away wins (14) and away points (46) in a single English league season.
- However, Newcastle haven’t won any of their last 11 Premier League away matches (W0 D2 L9), with their last victory on the road in the competition coming in December 2015 at Tottenham Hotspur (2-1).
- Steve Mounie scored a brace on his Premier League debut in the Terriers’ 3-0 win at Crystal Palace – the last player to score in his first two Premier League appearances whilst at a newly promoted side was Michael Ricketts with Bolton in 2001-02.
- Dwight Gayle has scored in all three of his previous league games against Huddersfield Town, finding the net in both league games against them last season.