Fifty- 4 staff members at Amazon’s Robbinsville, New Jersey, storage facility were dealt with after a can of bear repellent took off at the center on Wednesday, according to NJ.com.
Twenty- 4 of those employees were apparently hospitalized. One remains in crucial condition.
The repellent released after the can was pierced by an automated maker, NJ.com reports. Workers exposed to the repellent had problem breathing and felt a burning feeling in their eyes and throat, the website reported. First responders apparently dealt with the staff members outside the storage facility.
The Robbinsville Township Fire Department tweeted early Wednesday that it was “on scene at Amazon Warehouse on New Canton Way investigating ‘fumes’ that have several employees complaining of illness. Fire Dept is attempting to isolate the source. EMTs are triaging multiple patients. 7 ambulances and a medic currently assigned.”
The can of bear repellent included capsaicin, which is discovered in chili peppers. The occurrence didn’t need a total evacuation of the storage facility, NJ.com reported, and it’s under examination.
“Today at our Robbinsville fulfillment center, a damaged aerosol can dispensed strong fumes in a contained area of the facility,” stated Amazon spokesperson RachaelLighty “All employees in that area were relocated to a safe place and employees experiencing symptoms were treated onsite. As a precaution, some employees were transported to local hospitals for evaluation and treatment. All of the impacted employees have been or are expected to be released from hospital within the next 24 hours. We’d like to thank all of the first responders who helped with today’s incident.”
First releasedDec 5, 2: 05 p.m. PT.
Update, 5: 01 p.m.: Adds remark from Amazon.